Thursday, April 29, 2010

What a Week... and it's not even over yet!

I'll just run through it day by day so I don't forget anything...

Monday was Jerry's birthday! Justus said he wasn't feeling well (sore throat, he said) as soon as he got up. I let him lay with me in the bed for awhile and he fell back asleep. I asked him if he wanted to try to eat and he said he did then proceeded to eat everything on his plate. After breakfast he laid back down on the couch and promptly threw up, missing the bucket by a mere six inches, leaving me to clean up the equivalent of strawberry jam from my cream colored carpet. (He had eaten peanut butter toast and strawberries for breakfast.)

By Monday afternoon, he was feeling much better. [Note to self: do not allow Wesley to lean towards any job in the medical profession. He is completely grossed out by vomit.] We managed to make a cake, but before dinner was really under way I had to call Jerry home from work so I could go to urgent care.

My right ear was bothering me. It had been bothering me for a few days, but I finally couldn't take it anymore. It ended up I have an external ear infection (otitis externa) otherwise know as swimmer's ear even though I haven't been swimming in over a year. I guess it's common in people with skin issues (me!) and those who use cotton swabs (me again!). Thankfully, I had a freezer meal tucked away that Jer tossed in the oven while I was gone. Unfortunately, not the grandest of birthday meals.

So I got a prescription for ear drops and I have to mention... I really hate ear drops. But they are working and my ear is feeling much better. Thankfully, the rest of Jerry's birthday included cake and a quiet evening at home. Two of his favorite things.

I knew Tuesday was going to be a bummer because there was no new episode of LOST to look forward to. The boys were sad because it's the second to last night of AWANA. I'm sure Jer wasn't too happy about staying home to scrub the kitchen floor which is the job of whoever stays home on Tuesday evening. I have been doing it the last few weeks since I've stayed home to watch LOST (we have no way to record it--yes, I know you can watch online but it's not the same--yes, I know it's just a TV show but it's the only one I watch and it's ending in just a few weeks).

Wednesday was blissfully uneventful. Wednesday evening found me across town at a friend's house planning our very first coupon class! It's going to be a lot of fun and I just know all of our "graduates" are going to save so much money! We're going to run one trial class and if it goes well we will be doing it again so let me know if you are interested.

That brings us to today, Thursday. As if I didn't have enough medical issues this week I also had to head to the oral surgeon this afternoon. Over a month ago I developed a bump on my gums (pyogenic granuloma). It just happened that I had a cleaning scheduled so I asked the dentist about it. She said she was sure it was just a bit of extra tissue but suggested I have it removed and referred me to the oral surgeon. There is no treatment except surgical removal.

The oral surgeon is a nice guy (the one who removed Roz's wisdom teeth) and got me in and out quickly. Just to be on the safe side they sent it for biopsy and I have to go back for a follow up next Friday to get the results. I really do hate having dental work especially the numb feeling. It is finally wearing off. I'll take the pain of the incision over the numbness any day! The good news is the bump is now gone. The bad news is that it is not entirely uncommon for them to reappear. It wasn't really bothering me but if it wasn't removed it could have continued to grow and affected my ability to keep my teeth clean. Nothing to do but wait and see what happens now.

On a side note, when I went online trying to figure out what that bump was I read about pyogenic granulomas. They have a nickname... the "pregnancy tumor"... it's always a possibility, so I took a test and was a bit disappointed to see it was negative. :)

Well, that brings you up to date, for now anyway!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm exhausted just reading about
    all that has gone on for the family.
    Sounds like the weekend will be much
    better. You took the brunt of it all.
    Now that you are on the mend, maybe
    you can get out into the garden.

    Luv,G. Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!