Saturday, June 12, 2010

Fun with Dry Ice

I occasionally take surveys of one kind or another to earn a few extra dollars. Every so often I answer the questions right and actually get to try a new product. Last week I received a frozen meal to try. It arrived in a small cooler packed with dry ice.

The last time we got a package with dry ice I just put it in a bowl with some water to show the boys the "fog". Not being one to waste a learning opportunity, this time I went online and searched a bit to see if we could be more creative in our experiments.

So we tried this dry ice experiment with soap bubbles. Sites listed various (more complicated) methods to create bubbles but we found that if you just put some good soapy water in with the dry ice and gave a few blows you'd get plenty of bubbles. As you will hear... the boys thought it was great!




We also chopped a few chunks off to see if we could blow up a balloon. We could. The kids were pretty impressed and asked to draw a face on the balloon! The hardest part about this experiment was finding a bottle with a mouth big enough to get the dry ice in but small enough to stretch a balloon around!


Actually, the boys were impressed with all the dry ice fun we had. It's good to know it doesn't take much to entertain us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!