Despite the bad hotel situation,
we got a good night's rest and woke up thankful to be in our new home
state knowing we didn't have a long day of travel ahead. There was no rush, but we still didn't really sleep in. I got to cuddle with this little cutie in bed.
We ate our continental breakfast and packed our stuff into the van for
the short ride to our rental house. It was a bit farther out of town
than I expected, but the area surrounding the rental is built up nicely
so it's not like we'll have to drive far to find a store. We decided to rent so we could take our time finding a house. Jerry looked at several rental houses and then put down the deposit when he was here in October. It's the first time I have moved into a house sight unseen!
My first impression of the neighborhood was the houses were super close together and the road was narrow. The house itself though was great! Plenty big with lots of bedrooms. Not much storage and the van won't fit in the garage but it will do for a year. We emptied the trailer and Jerry took it back to U-Haul.
I got started cleaning. I was pleasantly surprised to find this the cleanest house we've ever moved into. I don't know who cleaned it but it was "Shelly Clean". I'm re-cleaning it anyway, but I didn't find any dirt in the kitchen
cupboards at all! Hopefully, I'll get all the cleaning done before the
truck gets here.
The boys enjoyed playing with the few toys they had and running around an empty house. Running around a house full of carpet in a dry climate did have one unintended consequence... we were building up a lot of static electricity and kept shocking each other. Every time someone touched a light switch we heard, "Ouch!" I'm not exaggerating, it was really bad! At first it was kind of funny, but after the 100th shock it got annoying. We're hoping it will get better once we have furniture!
Annabeth has been the BEST baby throughout all this craziness. I was so worried this trip would be hard on her, but she has been amazing. She slept when we needed her to and ate when we needed her to. She wasn't fussy at all. When I knew we were going to be moving I started putting her down for naps in her carseat. That really paid off. She associates the carseat with sleeping and goodness knows she was in her carseat a lot this past week! Most of the time I just fed her when we stopped for gas. Only once did we have to stop on her account.
Before we were even in the house and hour the next door neighbor (Linda) was knocking on the door. She was concerned because she saw the boys peeking over the fence into her yard. She wanted to make sure they didn't climb over because she had a pool. We thought that was a bit odd, but she seemed nice otherwise.
Not wanting to deal with the gerbils in the hotel again we had left them at Jerry's parent's house. His brother Johnny drove them out to us and he was the first to tour the new house. The gerbils did well during this trip. When we moved from Arizona to Wisconsin in 2000, we moved two gerbils with us too! Unfortunately, during that trip they did not fare as well and one died shortly after we arrived. I'm happy to report these guys survived and are happy and healthy!
We brought air mattresses for Jerry and I, sleeping bags for the boys,
and a pack n' play for the baby so our hotel sleeping days are over for now. I brought the cleaning supplies to get started with that while we
wait for the truck to arrive. The actual date of the truck's arrival is
unknown but we are hoping it will be here sooner rather than later.
We had Taco Bell for lunch and then Jerry ran to Wal-mart to get us some food and a toaster oven. In addition to cleaning, I was able to do a few loads of laundry since the house has a washer and dryer in the laundry room.
Our good friend Cindy was nice enough to invite us over for dinner so we didn't have to worry about cooking or eating out which was really nice. The boys enjoyed jumping on the Carlson's trampoline after being cooped up in the van for several days.
Then we headed "home" for our first sleep at our house in Arizona!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for leaving a comment!