Friday, June 8, 2007

Strawberry Crop 2007

June is officially here...we got our first big bowl of strawberries out of our little patch.

No green thumbs here. The patch has almost as many weeds as strawberries this year and a real big bare spot where the dryer vent dries the plants out. We don't trim them or train them or even fertilize them. It really is a wonder we get anything out of there at all! In fact, Jerry wanted to just pull them all out. I voted for waiting and at least getting a "few" strawberries out first. Here is a picture of our first harvest. Roz did the picking. The bowl is a 7 cup bowl so I'm guessing this was about 3 pints. The all time record for harvest was about 13 pints. That was the year I made (and canned) 4 jars of homemade strawberry jam. Oh...was that good on biscuits! Anyway, I washed them and put them on the table for dinner and all but a few were gone. The boys gobbled them right up! Fresh strawberries are so much better than store bought! I've also included a picture of Wesley with the first of the harvest. It has kind of become an annual tradition to take his picture holding the bowl.


Maybe if I have time I'll dig out the photos from years past and post them too...he has grown so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment!