I wore a sweater too (not pictured). Oddly enough so did many other people at church. I didn't get the memo but was glad most of our family had on sweaters for Sweater Sunday!In other news, Roz arrived home this afternoon after a weekend in the Dells with a friend. I barely got a "Hi Mom" before she was asking "what's for dinner?" and grabbing poppy seed bread (recipe below). Apparently home cooking is what she misses most while away at college! Here's why...
This is what we had for breakfast this weekend:
Saturday-Egg & Sausage on BiscuitsNo recipe for these really. Just cook up some sausage patties and eggs. Stack them on homemade biscuits with a slice of cheddar cheese. I cook the eggs kind of omelet style then cut them into round shapes with the biscuit cutter. If you want a great biscuit recipe here's the one I use:
Light and Flaky Biscuits
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 T. baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter or margarine
3/4 cup milk (+ 1 or 2 T. more)
Mix flour, salt, and baking powder. Cut in butter. Add milk and stir with a fork until ball forms. Knead lightly into a ball but don't knead long. Pat out on a floured surface and cut with biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 400 until golden brown (about 10-12 minutes).
Sunday-Continental Breakfast Potluck at Church (I brought Poppy Seed bread)If you need something yummy to serve at a Christmas brunch or even a quick baked gift? Try this. I got this recipe several years ago from a friend I went to nursing school with. I hadn't made it in a long time and revived it a few weeks ago. My whole family loves this bread. In fact, Jer got after me because I've "had this recipe for 15 years and only made it a few times?". What's wrong with me! It is really easy to make too, so I don't have a good excuse.
Poppy Seed Bread
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons butter flavored extract
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2 1/4 cups white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons butter flavored extract
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
1 1/3 cups vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2 1/4 cups white sugar
Mix all of the above well. Put into two greased 9 inch loaf pans. Bake at 350 for about an hour (until golden and tests done). Cool a few minutes in the pan then poke holes in the top and pour on the glaze (below).
Glaze
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon butter flavored extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (approx.) cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon butter flavored extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (approx.) cups confectioners' sugar
To make glaze: Mix liquids and then add enough confectioners' sugar to make glaze.
Can totally understand why Roz misses
ReplyDeleteyour cooking and baking. Everything
looks so yummy and taste that way too.
Welcome Home ROZ. See you in a few
days.
Luv, G. Linda