Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Virtual Christmas Tour 2009

I gave this a try last year and wanted to make it an annual tradition. If you have a blog please join in and post a few pictures from your home then link up below. I think everyone loves seeing other peoples homes and decorations!

We didn't do much outside this year, Jerry said he didn't want to get up on the (very high) roof peak again. So I didn't take any pictures of the outside lights. We did hang a few lighted wreaths and put some lights on the bushes and roof line by the front porch. We have some recessed lights in the front and next year we are planning to get some red and green flood lights to give us a bit more color.

Even inside, I didn't go all out this year. We are leaving shortly after Christmas and want to get things put away before we go. So missing from my usual decorations are the "kid's tree" in the basement, my little Christmas village, most of my snowmen, and almost all of my kitchen decorations. Okay, enough about what I didn't get out! Here's what I did!!
I have had this wreath for several years. It was a hand-me-down from my mom. Speaking of my mom, this wreath looks much better this year than it did last year thanks to her. She bought some new balls for it and and gave it a mini-makeover for me. Thanks Mom! It looks great!
Below the wreath and above the fireplace are the stockings I was frantically sewing last year at this time. They are one of my new favorite decorations.
Right as you come in the front door, on the front hall closet door, I have a ribbon hanging where I pin all the Christmas cards we receive. It's not too full yet, but I am hoping to get a few more (hint, hint). How do you display your Christmas cards? What do you do with them when Christmas is over. I put the photos and letters into a Christmas "binder" to keep them. If I scrapbooked I would do something a bit fancier but this works nicely for me. It's fun to go back and look at how much everyone's kids have grown.
Here's our Jesse Tree. Only 8 ornaments left to hang! Hard to believe. If the tree looks a little lopsided that's because it's been knocked off the small table I have it on in the kitchen a few times. I did take time to laminate the ornaments this year hoping that will help them last a bit longer. I have new Jesse Tree ornaments on my "to do" list but I haven't decided if I want to cross stitch them or make salt dough or something else.
A few years ago I got rid of almost all of our Santa related decorations. I want our Christmas decorations to reflect more of what we are celebrating, that's is why I like decorations like this table runner. My mom found it for me and I put it as the centerpiece on the kitchen table with the advent wreath. Eli requests that we light the candles more often, but flames, hot wax, and little boys don't mix real well, in my opinion, so we've only lit it once or twice.
This little pillow sits on the wooden bench by the front door year round. Almost each month, but sometimes just seasonally, I change the slip cover. I sewed all the various holiday fabric covers several years ago. I have two covers for Christmas that I alternate. This year it is the Nativity fabric. The other fabric is more of a "country" Christmas with various decorated trees.
I made this wreath (sorry this photo is so dark) with a dollar store wreath and an ornament I got on clearance at Shopko. After gluing the ornament in place I just added a few cinnamon sticks, buttons, and tied fabric scraps to finish it off.
These little light jars have been around for a long time. They make a great gift! I keep one in each of my bathrooms during the Christmas season. They are great little night lights and the potpourri smells so nice.
Here is this years Christmas tree. Roz helped put it up when she was home a few weeks ago. The boys helped so the ornaments are all over the place. Some of the ornaments that should be in the back of the tree (you have those type of ornaments too, don't you?) are in the front this year. I swear the ornaments get moved around daily by all my little helpers, so this is what the tree looked like today. No promises this is what it will look like tomorrow, but at least it's still standing and for that I am truly thankful.

Last year I shared the recipe for one of my favorites: candy cane cookies. This year I'll share one of Roz's favorites. I don't know why I only make them at Christmas time. They are so easy to make, I should really make them more often!

No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
1 stick margarine
2 cups sugar

1/2 cup milk

6 T. cocoa powder

2/3 cup chunky peanut butter

3 cups oats

1 t. vanilla


Melt margarine in a large pot. Add sugar, milk, and cocoa then bring to a boil.
Boil for 3 full minutes, stirring frequently. Take off heat and
add peanut butter, oats, and vanilla. Mix well.
Spoon "cookies" onto wax paper.
Let set and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Everything looks so festive and the
    true meaning of the season is proudly
    displayed. Think I'll give that recipe
    a try this pm.


    Luv, G. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to mention, I like the little
    snowflakes falling throughout. Neat.

    Luv, G.Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!