A few weeks ago my dad shared some walleye and his batter recipe with us. This past Saturday we thought we'd get out the ol' Fry Daddy and give it a try. To be completely honest, fish is not one of my favorite foods, if we're going to eat water creatures I'd much rather have crab or lobster, but I'm brave and was willing to give it a try.
Jerry wanted to go all out. He was in charge of the fish and also bought the customary rye bread to accompany our dinner. I made fresh coleslaw and my homemade tartar sauce. At the last minute we decided to slice up some potatoes for homemade potato chips as long as we had the Fry Daddy out.
I used my fairly new (meaning very sharp)
mandoline slicer to slice the potatoes for the chips. Being the
careless adventurous person that I am I was using the slicer without the guard until I got close to the end of each potato. Do you see where this is going yet?
On the very last potato... you knew this was coming... I sliced my finger along with the potato. It didn't hurt at that moment but within seconds it was bleeding a good bit. The throbbing pain came a few minutes later. We got it wrapped up and carried on with the supper preparations. I'm a
Jackrabbit, "carrying on" is what I do!
Jerry battered the fish and dropped it into the fryer. It cooked up quick and golden! We did the frying out in the garage so we didn't stink up the house, but here is what Jerry's prep line looked like (that last container in the line is the evil potatoes):

I'm happy to report the walleye was delicious. I was surprised that even the boys ate some (we told them it was homemade fishsticks). Eli asked for several helpings and little JD first asked "
What is this?" and then "
Can I have more?". The rest of the dinner was great as well, although I didn't really enjoy the potatoes as much as I normally would have.

My finger is still tender but healing nicely. I bumped it yesterday and it started bleeding again. It's like the ultimate paper cut. I joked about amputating my finger on Facebook, but I'm fortunate, it could have been a lot worse. I didn't get stitches but will probably have a scar to add to my collection. (I have one on my knee from a saw. Don't ask. And one on my wrist from a poorly wielded utility knife. Again, don't ask.)
I asked Jerry for title suggestions for this post. Here were a few he came up with:
- Fry Daddy, Sliced Mommy
- Mandoline Strikes Sour Note
- Just a Little Off the Top
- It's No Pocket Fisherman But it Slices and Dices
- How Am I Going to Blog with This Finger
Your turn... got any alternate titles for me?
Glad the meal was enjoyed by ALL,
ReplyDeleteminus the injury. Guess you come by
that naturally. You and your Dad have
this thing about cutting yourselves.
Luv, G. Linda
P.S. You forgot to show us your injury
when we were there. :( Would have had
sympathy from me and show & tell from
your Dad.