This morning right before lunch the boys went out to play in the chicken area. They have been digging and making chicken "castles" out there lately. A few minutes after the door shut, they came running. I could hear them yelling about "big talons" on their way to the back door.
The boys told me there was a hawk IN the chicken coop. I ran out to make sure all the girls were safe and then sent Justus back for my camera. I took the photos through the front of the coop. I was able to get pretty close, but I was thankful there was the wire between us.
The hawk/falcon could not figure out how to get out and would flap around in there and then rest on the roost for a bit before freaking out and flapping around again. After I got a few good pics I opened the door and it flew away. I think it may have been a juvenile, it was pretty small and, obviously, not too smart.
About a half hour later two more hawks were circling the chicken area but the boys were out there again and they didn't try any funny business. I wondered if the one who had been stuck went and got a friend to intimidate us!
I am really glad we were home. Sometimes when we are gone we come home in the evening and find a mourning dove or two in the coop. I can't imagine what would have happened if the chickens wanted to go lay an egg or eat or (if it was later in the day) go to bed and there was a hawk/falcon in their house! Or what I would have done if I stepped in to check on them or collect eggs later in the dark with a hawk trapped in there! It would have interesting that's for sure!
I found a short article from AZ Game and Fish that said there are more raptors of all kinds from Sept. - April when they have migrated down this way. I don't think this one could have carried off a chicken, but who knows! Raptors are attracted by mourning doves and we have a ton of those around trying to freeload off the chicken food. The chickens were surprisingly calm, but we didn't see the approach or entrance. I don't think there is much we can do for protection unless we want to build an enclosed coop - which we don't. Everyone has lose chickens in this neighborhood so at least our chickens are not the only ones to swoop down on.
We still are not positive on the type of bird. If you know be sure and tell me!
[Special thanks to Grandma Molly - I originally wrote most of this post as an email to her when she asked what happened! I figured I'd save myself some work and post it here too!]
Little scary, but the girls are fine and that's all that matters.
ReplyDeleteLuv,
G. Linda