Wednesday, December 5, 2007

St. Nick Ramblings

Jesse Tree Reading: Genesis 12: 1-7
Symbol: Tent and camel
What's a Jesse Tree? Click here.

Don't forget to put out your stocking (or shoe!) tonight for St. Nick. Maybe if you were good you'll get a little treat. When we lived in Arizona we were part of the very lonely few who celebrated St. Nick's Day. Last night I did my usual grocery shopping while the boys were at AWANA and there were "Don't forget St. Nick's Day Dec. 5!" all over the stores. I didn't say anything to the boys about it but Wesley got in the van and asked about it right away since someone at church had mentioned it. Wesley even remembered that last year I let him eat a piece of candy before breakfast.

The year we moved here Roz was so surprised when other kids got to school on Dec. 6th and actually talked about St. Nick leaving them a little something. Some here make it almost a second Christmas with several gifts. I think it's interesting how different parts of the country and different families celebrate this simple little tradition. When I was little St. Nick's Day was how we got our list to Santa. I did that with Roz but with the boys I want to tone down the "gimmee" attitude so they don't make a list, instead they color a picture to leave for St. Nick and in return he leaves some candy. (They also get an ornament from Mom and Dad.) Some use stockings, some use wooden shoes, some just get candy, some get expensive gifts, some have never even heard about it at all...

So do you celebrate St. Nick's Day? Take the poll and then leave a comment about what if anything you do...

2 comments:

  1. As a kid we did St Nick but I recieved peanuts at the bottom of my stocking chocolate in the middle and an apple and orange on top. If I was lucky I recieved a coloring book. Our kids hang their stockings tonight and will recieve half candy and half dollar toys. Just a little something to get them excited about whats to come. Will you start the tradition again this year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you still remember some of the
    family St. Nick traditions and have
    started new ones of your own. Voted
    NO - my wonderful daughters are doing
    their own traditions.

    Just finished hanging our beautiful
    Christmas colorings.

    Luv, G. Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!