Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Justus and his radial head subluxation

This morning for the second time in his little life of under 4 years Justus "dislocated" his elbow. Let me rephrase that, for the second time his elbow was dislocated...this time by Wesley. It was an accident, of course. Wesley was trying to pull Justus up onto the bar (where they're not supposed to be climbing) and pulled his arm wrong. It was his left arm, which is the same one he dislocated two years ago. The doctor said once it happens there is an increased risk of repeated dislocation. The condition is called radial head subluxation or nursemaid elbow (click to read all about it).

The doctor was able to reduce it or as he told Jer "pop it back in" with no problem. Jerry did get a lecture about lifting children by the trunk not the arms even though he wasn't even home when it happened. Since Justus is prone to this we'll have to be extra careful with him, especially since it is his left arm and he is left handed. The poor boy could hardly eat his yogurt at lunch with only one hand. He is still favoring it but should get over it shortly. I am a little concerned since he isn't feeling better already (the last time immediately after it was reduced he felt better) but the x-ray showed no fractures of the lower arm. They didn't take any x-rays of the upper arm or shoulder so if it still bothering him tomorrow I'll take him back in.

Where is the nearest looney bin? I think I might have to pick Jerry up there later...nevermind, I can't...I don't have a car!

2 comments:

  1. Ouch! Tell Justus we hope his arm feels better soon. (Hopefully it's not worse than it was before).

    Love, Gma and all in AZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you don't have to make a return
    trip!!!! Forgot Justus was left-
    handed too. Poor little guy. Bet
    Wesley was upset about the whole
    thing. Gentle hug to Justus.

    Will be giving you a call.

    Luv, G. Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!