Tuesday, January 15, 2008
It's all Greek to him!
Wesley has been learning the Greek alphabet. I read before age 10 is the best time to memorize, and he does memorize just about anything these days, so I thought I'd try the Greek alphabet. Eventually, we'd like him to be able to read a bit Greek. Anyway, he is doing great with it. But he cracked me up with an error he has made now two days in a row. The 20th letter in the Greek alphabet is upsilon (which looks like Υ for uppercase and υ for lowercase). The 18th book of the New Testament is Philemon. Since he is also in the middle of reviewing the books of the NT for AWANA he keeps saying Philemon instead of upsilon. Cracks me up every time! Not because of his error though...but because I love the fact that he even knows the words upsilon and Philemon! I didn't even know the word (or letter) upsilon myself until I made the flashcards for him two weeks ago! And I don't know when I learned about Philemon but it definitely was not at age 5! He has about 5 letters to go before he really knows the whole thing...then maybe I'll take a little video of him saying it. It really is pretty cool!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Is this where the saying comes in
ReplyDelete"it's Greek to me?" Way to go
Wesley - we are so proud of you and
your abilities.
Way to go Mom Shelly for expanding
his knowledge - he couldn't do this
without you.
Luv, G. Linda